Home » Archives for 2009
Posted by Unknown on Aug 18, 2009
Posted by Unknown on Jun 7, 2009
Posted by Unknown on May 30, 2009
Posted by Unknown on Apr 16, 2009
Posted by Unknown on Apr 15, 2009
Google chrome : V8 , I have been using it a lot. The fact that the addressbar itself serves as Google Search is it's USP for me.
Mozilla Firefox : Tracemonkey My favourite browser, simply because of the amazing add-ons owing to open source.
Opera : Futhark (Carakan is coming ) While it's my lifeline on my symbian mobile, the latest desktop version seems to have a little too much.
Posted by Unknown on Apr 14, 2009
The big question is what is it we will be discussing then. Let's break the news : It will be Linux OS (atleast for a number of Tuesdays ).
All of us have heard about Linux and many of us might be thinking of trying it or taking a plunge into the world of Linux. But there are a few myths that keep us from doing it.
Linux and Unix : What's the difference ?
Unix is an operating system developed by AT&T in 1969. Official trademark of Unix is with " The Open Group ".
It's a text based ( terminal ) OS and not the graphic based Windows and Macs we are used to.
Linux : Linux is a Unix like OS developed by free and open source software collaboration. Linus Torvalds wrote the original Linux Kernel ( read system files) in 1991 while rest of the utilities and libraries come from GNU OS by Richard Stallman ( hence the name GNU/Linux).
It's cliche but true : Linux is not Unix.
Do we need technical and programming experience to use it ?
No, the Linux distributions ( different versions since it's open source ) now a days like Ubuntu, Fedora, Suse, Debian and the likes comes with graphical user interface ( X window interface ) much like the Windows and Macs and in some cases even better.
Now it's really commonplace with a number of laptops and desktops coming with Linux distros
The very fact that it's open source ( the source codes are open to public to develop it) means it's updating all the time.
I have been using Fedora Linux (Fedora 4 onwards ) and let me tell you it's a beauty. It's like having a fully customised OS of your own. It's this " control in the hands of user " aspect that makes Linux special.
I also carry with myself Knoppix Linux live CD. Just boot with it into any system and it becomes your own, do your work and get going.
Once you discover the world of Linux, you will be hooked. Much of my Tech Tuesday future posts will be in the direction of getting you hooked to THE OS and simplifying the how to use part.
Posted by Unknown on Apr 13, 2009
- getjar : Get both Java as well as symbian applications.
- symbian-freeware : One of my favourites.
- smartsym : Find S60 5th edition (Nokia 5800 expressmusic) softwares !!
- dotsis : Terrific site with forums where we can discuss everything Symbian. Register to post !!
- wapain.net : Another one with S60 v5 softwares. Another one of my picks.
- mobilefan.net : Softwares by category, a well simplified list.
- mobiletopsoft : Find all freewares and shareware.
- my-symbian : Freewares as well as shareware.
- gallery.mobile9 : Cool Interface, community based site. User uploaded.
- soft32.com : Cool interface and some really amazing collection.
- mobiles24 : Another cool site to look for the latest softwares.
- brothersoft : Well known for all your software needs, not only Symbian.
- getsymbian : Large collection of softwares.
- freesymbiansoft : Another great collection.
- symbianstock : Large stock of softwares
- bestsymbian : Good collection !!
The Best Blogspot/Blogger Blogs in this Business :
Tell me if you think I missed out on that one amazing link that would make this directory a more complete list !!
Posted by Unknown on Apr 11, 2009
Posted by Unknown on Apr 10, 2009
Posted by Unknown on Apr 8, 2009
Posted by Unknown on Apr 7, 2009