Trying out different apps on a Symbian gadget is really fun. One finds useful and interesting apps being developed all the time. Now with Nokia's acquisition of the Symbian platform rest assured this is the platform of choice ( did somebody say Google Android ?, we'll see when it comes).
So , what are the must have apps on a S60 2nd edition device ( or even a 3rd edition one ) :
Browsers : Accessing internet on the go is one main reason of having a smartphone, isn't it? This is how we can get the most out of GPRS ( I just can't wait for the 3G launch for private players) :
- Opera Mini : This is one software I guess all smartphones must have, what with the java version also out there. Landscape browsing and zoom view are it's biggest plus.
- UCWeb Browser : This one comes in Chinese but there is the English translated version by Akushah. Tabbed browsing and in-built downloader with resume capability makes this one really special.
Downloader : What's the point in having an unlimited GPRS plan when you can't download files of larger size. These tools make downloading big files a piece of cake :
- Fget : The ability to resume downloads and work in background make it worth ahving on our device, even though the UCWeb browser with its in-built downloader has really made this one redundant.
- Symtorrent : I have already covered thisone in my earlier post. The only working torrent downloader on Symbian platform. Amazing software to have.
Audio/Video players : Multimedia is what mobile phones are all-about now a days. See how to get the most out of your Symbian gadget with these apps in this post :
- Divx Player : We need to install the xvid codec along with this and play files in avi format in addition to mp4 and 3gp.
- Smartmovie Player : Nothing to separate this from the previous one.
- Mp3 Players : There are quite a few mp3 players. Download these and find which one works for you.
Miscellaneous : Some softwares to make our life easy :
- SFManager : This is a file browser/explorer which makes it easy to browse through files on our memory cards. The native browsing system on these devices can be really frustrating at times.
- Adobe Reader : We know this must have app to go through our pdf files
- Pdf + (mBrain Software): A great lighter alternative to Adobe
- Screenshot ( http://www.rock-your-mobile.com product ): This one is for people like me who like to take a screenshot of their device screen for blogging or other posting purposes.
- Flashlight : A great tool for Nokia N70, to turn your camera flashlight into a torch. It's amazing to see what a powerful torch a N70 is !!
If you have a terrific Symbian app in mind, do Disqus !!